There are an awful lot of pipes, drains and sewers hidden away from view inside homes and under the ground – so it’s worth bearing in mind that responsibility for their upkeep is in the hands of different organisations and people including you. Many people get confused about the who is responsible for what.

  • The pipes, gutters and drains in and around your home, including the drains from your property up to your boundary, are your responsibility. If you have a problem with these you are best to check if your insurance covers you first. Then you can phone a company like ourselves that can diagnose and resolve any issue you may have such as blocked drains or root ingress.
  • The big public sewers that take sewage and rainwater run-off to wastewater treatment works, the pipes from your property’s boundary that lead into the public sewer are the responsibility of United Utilities. Many of the shared drains where several properties’ drains meet together before they join the public sewer are also the responsibility of United Utilities. If you suspect that a shared drain is blocked, please contact us.
  • The local authority is responsible for the road gullies at the edge of the roads which are used to drain surface water from the highway. If you’re worried about blockages or smells from these please call your council.